Author Topic: What is your favorite basket?  (Read 2417 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite basket?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
I'm surprised that more people don't like the chainstars.  The width appears to be wider than most baskets to catch putts that are a little off center.  The top cage is friendly to discs.  You can get them in virtually any color.  The only issue I've had with them is kicking a few putts straight back out if I hit the center pole to hard.  I guess that's just the indian though and not the arrow.  It appears that I putt a little TOO hard at times.  8)
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
First world problems people! Get the hell out of KC for a disc golf weekend and you'll quickly realize you are all spoiled.

Seriously, one man's opinion is just that, an opinion. I am happy to throw at any basket, even the one's that spit out solid putts because it is free to play and I enjoy it regardless.

I wish I had time to argue about baskets, create polls, and work against the efforts of the few.

Okay, now everyone prove me wrong, or contradict, since that seems to be the flavor of this forum lately.

Personal Leadership here peeps!

The poll was for Liberty P&R for the new course out there. Just wanted to get an idea as to what people like.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
Marshall and Columbia have some freakingreat courses that rival ours and less than 2 hours from the metro. i'll be taking in the beav and bikini beach up in Smithville, praying for those last 2 teepads to go in.

Wrong thread Danger!

coops

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
First world problems people! Get the hell out of KC for a disc golf weekend and you'll quickly realize you are all spoiled.

Seriously, one man's opinion is just that, an opinion. I am happy to throw at any basket, even the one's that spit out solid putts because it is free to play and I enjoy it regardless.

I wish I had time to argue about baskets, create polls, and work against the efforts of the few.

Okay, now everyone prove me wrong, or contradict, since that seems to be the flavor of this forum lately.

The contention that we shouldn't have informed discussion is inane. No one is arguing that ANY basket is better than no basket, but there is plenty of room to argue which basket is better than another basket.

And, how, may I ask, is discussing which baskets are preferred 'work[ing] against the efforts of the few'?

Now, let's keep the discussion substantive. One main reason that I prefer DISCatchers to Mach IIIs is the uniform ring created at the top. I have seen too many putts that hit high on a Mach III and go in because they happen to get between the outer chain hangers on those baskets. A putt that high just a few inches over misses. I don't think that sort of lack of uniformity is a good thing for the sport. I also don't like the nickel. I have had too many putters get sliced because of hitting high and banging the side of the nickel. At least a high hit on a DISCatcher just creates the dreaded metal clanging sound and doesn't damage my disc.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
I hate nickels, and I have never seen a disc damaged by a titan. hopefully the best is within budget.
espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »
Nickels are an add on feature, you don't have to have them, and I have seen more putts get "stopped" from going long with them and flag poles than any from Innuva.

BTW, DGA is leading, because you split the equation into 2 types doesn't fool me, the numbers will prove that there is simply a matter of preference, which is really all this is about, it simply matters on who putts the best in the conditions with the basket there, nothing else really counts.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »
Nickels are an add on feature, you don't have to have them, and I have seen more putts get "stopped" from going long with them and flag poles than any from Innuva.

BTW, DGA is leading, because you split the equation into 2 types doesn't fool me, the numbers will prove that there is simply a matter of preference, which is really all this is about, it simply matters on who putts the best in the conditions with the basket there, nothing else really counts.

Nickels: Well they are a bad add on feature. Also, adding that putts getting "stopped" from them only further shows another bit of add on luck built into those DGA designs. A high putt that misses everything deserves to fly by the basket, not get lucky, destroyed, and left for a drop in.

Polling: I would have included the DISCatcher Pro and the Pro 28 too but was constrained to 5 options. I thought there was a more significant difference between the Mach V and Mach III than between the Pro and the Pro 28. There was no malice of intent. Also, it is only one vote as I type this right now. At least this shows that there isn't the consensus in favor of the DGA models that had been trumpeted by many.

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Eric, you make me  ;D

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
ummm - I thought we were getting new baskets at waterworks and new trees at cliff. I still vote for 19 titans and 6 sycamores and one weeping willow.
espouse elucidation

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
I want a cherry tree, or a paw paw.  No, I actually would prefer the paw paw.

Thanks,
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

coops

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
I want a cherry tree, or a paw paw.  No, I actually would prefer the paw paw.

Thanks,

While the paw paw may be tasty, it may not be hearty enough for this area.

I could go for some more of those mulberry trees. Nice snack partway through a round.

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
The P&R has a list of approved trees and we would work together with the P&R on the planting process. But alas this has nothing to do with the basket.

coops

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »
The P&R has a list of approved trees and we would work together with the P&R on the planting process. But alas this has nothing to do with the basket.

Nor does:

Eric, you make me  ;D

Still waiting on substantive arguments in favor of the Mach III. I have said what I think their flaws are and how those flaws are address with the DISCatcher. I think the Mach V is also a solid choice and would love if we gave some consideration to the Titan, but without specific experience on them I will refrain from discussion of them.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/parksandrec/documents/parksrecreation/streettreeplantingrequirements.pdf

Page 6 for a list in KCMO.  Once we re-evaluate the cliff drive scenario Danger the placement of trees will commence.  As for the replacement baskets for WW, unfortunately I will be suggesting the continuation of the use of the DGA model.  At this point it is also for ease of installation and hardware.  We are able to not need to recreate the entire course to please the opinions of a few, even if many.  Consistency in the parks is something that I like to work towards, as such that way information doesn't need to be explained in every park as a wide variety, but may be maintained in a mannerism that gives the overall impression of how "our courses look and feel" to the investigative approach.

The last time that I checked I wouldn't have been swayed from playing any course with any of the baskets listed, so there again goes the argument that this is strictly an opinionated topic, an there fore has no possibility of ever being defined with a specific answer to the question posed.  The question posed is generic enough to only warrant conversations about your opinion.

It is like asking which beer is the best......I have many I like, and I buy many different kinds, but they all have the same effect.  They catch me and sometimes I fall out......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
Trees...I was joking.  Actually I really really do want a paw paw, and have tried to grow one 3x, but they keep dying.  The soil around my house is to clay filled.  However, my persimmon is doing fantastic.

I was going to make a thread about what trees should Jack plant out at Cliff Drive, and include something about Honeysuckle being an option, but apparently I don't have Poll authority, or Pole position.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj