Author Topic: What is your favorite basket?  (Read 2389 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite basket?
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2013, 10:23:45 PM »
Coop, I gotta tell ya that I had two perfectly good putts last night at Legacy that didn't stick. DISCatchers. Two of those putts where you look down to pick up your mini and when you look back up you think someone picked your disc out of the basket and put it on the ground. One was dead center and came straight back out, the other went clean through the middle. Yes, I have witnesses. Yes, I understand that all baskets spit every now and again. And EVERYone has different experiences on different baskets.

Anyway, moral of the story is...from this thread alone, anytime I miss a putt on a DISCatcher, I'm gonna think of you. Haha, in fact, without even thinking twice, the first thing out of my mouth last night on that first missed putt was, "Gosh, where's Cooper when you need him?"
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Not sure what happened to my post/opinion (objective observations). JUly 5

Has two perfect putts rejected my the new Mach V's at Jones West on Friday. (Chains tight?, too close to the exterior of the basket, baskets leaning a bit, and a bit loose in the sleeve and ground.)
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »
Not sure what happened to my post/opinion (objective observations). JUly 5

Has two perfect putts rejected my the new Mach V's at Jones West on Friday. (Chains tight?, too close to the exterior of the basket, baskets leaning a bit, and a bit loose in the sleeve and ground.)

Good question... I saw that post. Where'd it go?    Hopefully not all those Mach V's are loose and leaning. We''ll be finding out this week.

Is it perhaps the post under the tournament thread?   http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=7801.105
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:13:20 AM by Kevin Montgomery »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

coops

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
Coop, I gotta tell ya that I had two perfectly good putts last night at Legacy that didn't stick. DISCatchers. Two of those putts where you look down to pick up your mini and when you look back up you think someone picked your disc out of the basket and put it on the ground. One was dead center and came straight back out, the other went clean through the middle. Yes, I have witnesses. Yes, I understand that all baskets spit every now and again. And EVERYone has different experiences on different baskets.

Anyway, moral of the story is...from this thread alone, anytime I miss a putt on a DISCatcher, I'm gonna think of you. Haha, in fact, without even thinking twice, the first thing out of my mouth last night on that first missed putt was, "Gosh, where's Cooper when you need him?"

Hah. Of course you've figured out the response. Good putts are going to miss sometimes. But, that doesn't mean we can't do everything we can to decrease that phenomenon. Every basket will spit some good putts, but some will do it a little more frequently.

I've never said DISCatchers were perfect, I contend they're better. I've never said we needed to be perfect, I contend we should be better.

Doing things the same way they always have been because that is the way they've always been done is nonsensical. Hopefully we can stop being held captive by tradition.

I have thought of one argument in favor of the Mach III finally! (Well, maybe. I need some information.)

Jack, or anyone else that would know, what is the commission from DGA on ordering Mach IIIs? I know for Innova that 10% of the basket cost (excluding any custom paint) can go to the contact that gets a municipality to buy or to the club.

Since Mach IIIs are much more expensive per basket it could be purely a financial decision. Selecting a higher dollar basket (and assuming 1. DGA has something like this and 2. the percentage is similar) could net a higher gain for the club and allow us to pursue further upgrades to WW. I think the additional $126 (under previous assumptions) could be seductive and a good reason to go with Mach III.

I have sent an email to DGA to see if they have a program like this but haven't gotten a response yet. So, anybody know if they do?

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »
Kevin, yes thank you. I found my post concerning the Mach V's at Jones.

I always thought (in my 2 years experience), that baskets were supposed to "catch" discs, not kick out perfectly placed putts.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
the newer titan baskets catch a lotta putts, and supposedly pick up your  mini for you if you're inside the circle.
espouse elucidation

coops

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
DGA says they regularly do 10% or better off. It doesn't sound like it is 'bonus' money like with Innova so it might be considered a wash, though I would tend to push it into Innova's favor. (I mean, 10% off great. But if the city/P&R is footing the bill they would view it as savings where if the club were getting 10% of the price it would or could be viewed as added value to the park.)

So there is that. I hope the board or whoever take this into consideration in the meetings for arranging the purchase of new baskets.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
Mach 5's: 3 times today I had to stop my putt and untangle chains. Very weird. Also had a 10ft spit out. my .02
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

coops

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
Mach 5's: 3 times today I had to stop my putt and untangle chains. Very weird. Also had a 10ft spit out. my .02

So what you're really saying, Utz, is that there is a difference in Championship-level approved baskets, right?

coops

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
And I haven't played V's as much as III's but I've had good luck with them and still prefer them. Maybe these things just aren't broken in enough and are stiff? Or not installed well.

I would love to get all the main baskets together to compare side by side but I don't think that'll happen any time soon. Those Arroyo's seem to at least try the hardest to fix things and not just make everything the same as everyone else.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »

So there is that. I hope the board or whoever take this into consideration in the meetings for arranging the purchase of new baskets.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »
sunday 7-14 in Bridgeton Missouri, at Carrolton park, a 2 round usnsanctioned tournament will be played on Titans, if you really want to be able to have an opinion on what a great basket is, just sayin'
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:13:54 AM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation

coops

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
Yeah. Cashback is hard to argue with.

Someone with some contacts would have to chime in at some point but it looks as if the pricing is similar with DGA and Innova but Innova has the commission program which could be used to the clubs advantage.

coops

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
sunday 7-14 in Bridgeton Missouri, at Carrolton park, a 2 round usnsanctioned tournament will be played on Titans, if you really want to be able to have an opinion on what a great basket is, just sayin'

I wish. If it weren't the day after my friend's wedding (with a reception at Boulevard) I'd be all over it.

coops

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Let's grant the premise that all championship level baskets are the same just for sake of argument. Out of the top three contenders (V, III, and DC) the Vs and DCs are roughly the same price for an 18 hole course and the IIIs are almost $600 more. (Freight included in quote from DGA and using estimated freight offered on innovadiscs.com)

If all championship baskets are the same it follows that we should get the ones that are cheaper.

Throw in that Innova offers 10% commission to the club (or individual) and the best DGA can do is a 10% discount it seems like this should be an easy decision.

Bottom line, unless DGA has some unpublished commission or if Rick or Jack has an in to get that sort of thing with them NOT choosing DISCatchers is walking away from free money.