Author Topic: What is your favorite basket?  (Read 3864 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite basket?
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
Quite frankly I wish this thread would go away.  It's like getting poison ivy out on the course.  You would so dearly love for it to stop itching, but the itch WON'T STOP.

I agree that there isn't much point for this thread to continue. Jack has made his position pretty clear: there is no need to have a discussion about the club members' consensus regarding the best baskets, teepads, or any other feature of a course. Why? Because we aren't the ones designing the courses or working with the P&R departments, so our voices will not be heard. Jack, through his years of tireless and generous service, has earned the right to make these decisions without the blessing of the BoD, or even less significantly, a bunch of yahoos on their keyboards. So everyone, please just shut up and let Jack carry on with the business of running Kansas City Disc Golf.

The above comments are not in line with the intent of my post - just so we're clear. 

Bottom line is, if you want something to change, do something about it.  Go to a club meeting and bring up the topic.  This forum is just that, a forum.  Posting here will not get you anywhere.  If there are things that you do not agree with or if there are items that you want clarification on, ask the board of directors.  This ball (if there is indeed a ball and not just pointless ranting) won't get rolling unless you bring it up somewhere aside from here. 
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

coops

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
Quite frankly I wish this thread would go away.  It's like getting poison ivy out on the course.  You would so dearly love for it to stop itching, but the itch WON'T STOP.

I actually agree with you Jordan. It gets frustrating to work so hard to further the discourse of the club only to have it railroaded by those protecting their own interests. This went from a simple thread about which baskets are or should be preferred to something it wasn't intended to be, a referendum on the power structures at work within and without the KCFDC. There are those that make decision about club courses that already exist that operate without an official mandate from the club. This subverts our voting interest and really begs the question 'why pay dues if I don't get a say in what happens with existing, club cared for courses?'

I encourage everyone to think about what started this whole thing. Jack mentioned that he had a proposal to put in new baskets at Water Works. Tank, a club member, was shouted down by Jack who felt some sort of right (or something) to get to make that call because he has a relationship with the P&R. It might have gone unnoticed or been left at that but that sort of decision making and bullying irks me. I wanted to post a poll to see what people in the club liked for baskets. I was shouted down for suggesting that I might have an opinion or that anyone else has a right to have an opinion on the matter. (And, if you think the public stuff has been bad, hope that you never incite the wrath via PM. It is brutal and eye-opening.)

So, I'll leave this thread to die with these thoughts. Decisions about club courses should be made by the Board and by representatives with mandates from that Board, which has been elected by the membership and should attempt to act in good faith to align their decisions with the will of those members.

Please read this and take it to heart and please, don't let this sort of quiet tyranny continue.

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »

I agree that there isn't much point for this thread to continue. Jack has made his position pretty clear: there is no need to have a discussion about the club members' consensus regarding the best baskets, teepads, or any other feature of a course. Why? Because we aren't the ones designing the courses or working with the P&R departments, so our voices will not be heard. Jack, through his years of tireless and generous service, has earned the right to make these decisions without the blessing of the BoD, or even less significantly, a bunch of yahoos on their keyboards. So everyone, please just shut up and let Jack carry on with the business of running Kansas City Disc Golf.

The above comments are not in line with the intent of my post - just so we're clear. 

Bottom line is, if you want something to change, do something about it.  Go to a club meeting and bring up the topic.  This forum is just that, a forum.  Posting here will not get you anywhere.  If there are things that you do not agree with or if there are items that you want clarification on, ask the board of directors.  This ball (if there is indeed a ball and not just pointless ranting) won't get rolling unless you bring it up somewhere aside from here.

I would attend a meeting--or, shoot--even position myself for a run at a board position. But Jack's dismissive comments make pretty clear the fact that none of that would have the slightest impact on the issues I care about.

Jack is King. We must all pay homage.

BenC

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »
The club doesn't have just one member talking to the P&R departments.  As the Vice President of Missouri I have been to several P&R meetings.
I don't agree with everything Jack says, but I do think if all people are doing is posting stuff to the forum you really aren't doing much.  There was a board meeting last Tuesday.  Board meetings aren't held in secret.  From what I've read, not one of the three non board members in attendance were there to talk about baskets. 
Take it off the forum and at LEAST show up at a board meeting.  Then you have a voice rather than just stuff on a screen. 
Jack has talked to me about basket.  I didn't say Jack sent me a message or Jacks posts were the selling point.  Jack has my backing on replacement baskets.  Actual face to face communication with an active board member will get you a lot further than being a keyboard commando.

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »
Jack has talked to me about basket.  I didn't say Jack sent me a message or Jacks posts were the selling point.  Jack has my backing on replacement baskets.  Actual face to face communication with an active board member will get you a lot further than being a keyboard commando.

Well, it's comforting to hear that Jack can get his way in face-to-face communications, too.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »

It seems to me that this thread has degenerated into a pissing contest.

My actual point is that this thread has been beating a dead horse for a while now and it's time it joined the horse. It seems several others are in agreement from recent posts...  So, read it all you want but let's let it die.   ;D

If I get enough negative feedback via PM I'll consider unlocking it again. But please don't ask...   8)

Let's leave this one to fester in the archives for future generations to mull over....  :D
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org