Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 783 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Just a thought...
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
I'm finally almost ready to start playing disc golf again after breaking a leg two months ago.  While I was out, I had a few thoughts with regards to this league and the Legacy league.  For whatever reason, we don't get very good turnouts at either one of these leagues.  A few reasons are probably as follows:

1. Continuous shift in who is running the league.  I never see scores posted for either league, so I'm sure some people don't even know that a league is happening or has been happening.
2. Distance - pretty far east side of the city
3. Legacy - Friday nights (IMO) is just not a good league night.  It's the weekend man!  Many people have Friday night plans with friends and family.  This is my main reason for not ever having stepped up to run this league on a consistent basis. 

So, I have a few questions:

1. Why do YOU think these leagues are not well attended?
2. What do YOU think we can do to get more attendance?
3. Would YOU be interested in attending an alternating Legacy/Young Wednesday night league?

Now that I'm married, have a normal schedule, and have a leg that will allow me to get back out on the course, I'd be interested in running an alternating league as mentioned above...but I want to get everyone's thoughts on it first and see what it would take to make this happen.  SO.....let's hear it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:49:08 AM by jhinck2 »
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
Jordan, I don't play because they are too far east and because it is Friday night.
Alternating on a Weekday night is a good idea, although the too far east is still a problem.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 01:50:21 PM »
I like the idea, though I probably wouldn't be able to get to Youngs from Olathe before 6. I'm sure it would need board approval. Not sure on that process, but it probably wouldn't happen until 2014.

It's a challenge running league on Friday night, I would prefer this.

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »
With three small kids and with the older two doing sports, I have a hard time making any league regularly.   It doesn't matter whether it's on Wed or Friday.  As for league attendance, consistency is the key.  For Legacy league, we've had a run of consistently bad weather, which got people out of the habit of going to it.  I know there were a few evenings that I would have went, but it was raining.   I don't really know about Blue Springs and why it's not well attended.  Pleasant Hill league attendance has suffered as well.   I attempted earlier this spring to start posting scores, who showed up, etc. but I don't think it mattered much.  Attendance was still meager.           

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »
I know people don't like Young because it has too many trees in fairways and it's nit a bomber course. That's the complaint I hear most, anyway.
As for Legacy, is that still a doubles league?
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Kelly Markum

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Is the Youngle attendance really that bad? The scores posted for the last couple weeks have 14 & 15 people out for league.
"You really can sing and dance! " -- Whiskey

Skyhawkmd

• Am Poster
  • NOT a Professional Disc Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »

1. Why do YOU think these leagues are not well attended?
2. What do YOU think we can do to get more attendance?
3. Would YOU be interested in attending an alternating Legacy/Young Wednesday night league?

1. No real coordinator and it's not promoted weekly. (I still love you Pate)
2. Get a regular coordinator who posts scores and promotes weekly. (Like posting some excitement like other leagues in town do.)  Because this league is so far out East you need to build excitement for others to come out and also if no one knows how many people attend the league, they probably won't drive out here to find out.   
3. Rotate weeks with Legacy.

In my opinion this is one way to make these two leagues better.

Matt Dixon
The Used Car Factory INC.
3035 SW US 40 Hwy E.B.
Blue Springs, MO. 64015
PDGA #55098

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »
I know people don't like Young because it has too many trees in fairways and it's nit a bomber course. That's the complaint I hear most, anyway.

When it's not doubles, people don't come back.  Don't get me wrong, I like doubles too, but why does everyone stop wanting to play when it's singles?   I have a hunch that if I ran it as a doubles league every Friday, we'd be back to the same regulars and the numbers would go up.   Maybe it's just seen as more of a Rec league or something?

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »

When it's not doubles, people don't come back.  Don't get me wrong, I like doubles too, but why does everyone stop wanting to play when it's singles?   I have a hunch that if I ran it as a doubles league every Friday, we'd be back to the same regulars and the numbers would go up.   Maybe it's just seen as more of a Rec league or something?

The dubs were fun out there, and I always seem to throw better during dubs rounds, but singles is just more fun for me. I don't spend any thought worrying about screwing anyone else's round up that way. ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
The dubs were fun out there, and I always seem to throw better during dubs rounds, but singles is just more fun for me. I don't spend any thought worrying about screwing anyone else's round up that way. ;D

If you start showing up, we can play whatever Keizer wants!

deadhead84

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
So since no one thinks that score are being posted , take a look at the links under Wilbur young and you will tyler matoon posting scores for me. sorry the first weeks of the league I didn't post. my bad. so I give the cards to tyler to post for me. if you all have these suggestions for this league then why don't you all help me promote this league. lets be a team and work together to do these things you all want to happen so bad. so lets stop blasting peeps on here and do some promoting. help me help you. but the league at Wilbur young has been very consistent every week. I get new players out there every Wednesday night. a lot of people don't come to the league cause they hate Wilbur young. that sounds like there problem not the cat that runs league. if you all have constructive criticism hit me with your knowledge. if not don't say anything at all. but here is my number if you all want to call me 816-419-4457.
BANG-A-RANG!!!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »
I love playing Wilber young, I personally chose not to come out anymore is because my first and only meeting of the league director. Loud cursing and obnoxious behavior during payouts was less than pleasant...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
Apologies, I must have overlooked the scores being posted.  I'm usually pretty up-to-date on the league postings and have been watching everything since I broke my leg to see who all has been playing and where.  I wasn't trying to "blast" anyone, nor am I trying to oust any league directors.  I'm just seeing what can be done to increase participation in these leagues.  What is it going to take to get our turnouts to match that of WW, PC, etc.  There are clearly leagues that kill it in terms of participation.  Some of that has to do with the course itself, but a lot of it has to do with other factors.  Legacy and Young are both a long haul from downtown, so I think that is the biggest issue here.

Anyway, I think that Legacy on Friday nights is a challenge for a lot of people.  It's just a tough sell as it is the beginning of the weekend.  Maybe the alternating league was a bad idea if turnouts are as good as deadhead84 claims they are.  My bad, just trying to spur some DISCussion.  I love playing Legacy (unlike most people), and wish we could make it a popular course in KC.  Sure, some holes are repetitive, but it's not a gimme course and for whatever reason that is engrained in everyone's mind far as I can tell.  For those who haven't taken a good look around out there, there is A LOT of good land (even a picturesque waterfall) and if we can get some people out to build this course's reputation, maybe more things will happen.  Eric is certainly getting the ball rolling with LSPR, I just want to keep it rolling and turn BOTH of these leagues into something big.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
I love Wilbur Young. I cannot make this league or most leagues because they run late for me. I get up pretty early.
Steven Disc Glover

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
traffic is a bear,,but its a tough track to win on. before Brandon was taking everyones money it was slim or hefner...westies get eaten up
putt, putt, give.