Author Topic: Pay to play in KC  (Read 2184 times)

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Pay to play in KC
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
As a KC born and raised member, I believe KC has continued to falter time and time again by following "what every other similar city does" attitude. This can go back to the revitalization of downtown while sacrificing the city's schools, including Power and Light, gentrification of Northeast, Strawberry Hill, the Crossroads, trolley car plan (?) and the current plan to follow other mid-size hubs and airports in fly-over-country and reduce our excellent airport to one hub instead of three.

Perry, I appreciate your perspective, and I too have been around and seen a bit of the world and how others do it. I don't think it is just to discredit your limited disc golf experience in KC either. I do, however, disagree with your opinion on pay-to-play. Our courses are among the top in the country, and hence the world, due to the PEOPLE and cooperation with local governments. The people are what make this place great. The need for the dolla-dolla-bill-y'all is not what makes disc golf here. It is the abundance of the dollars that made the parks and green space possible. Now it is on us to make something of it, and in my opinion, we are getting better not worse.

Privatization has done nothing good for government services in recent history, and I fear that ultimately pay-to-play leads to private, not public and the consumer, free or not, gets screwed. We have got a great thing going here. Let's make it better. Who says we want to be like other cities? We are already doing a great job. I am no elitist and that is where pay-to-play takes us.

Thoughts on Old Pike as a pay-to-play course?

AStomps

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
I'd be interested in a pay-to-play if they could convert a golf course like Treehouz or Emporia, but I dont feel that pay to play would improve Swope, Rosedale, Water Works et al.  They are what they are.  Huntington Beach is pay to play and that course sucks for the most part. 

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
I would love to see a pay to play course that is WELL maintained...

This is the only opinion I have on the topic.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »
I was joking.  Ha ha!
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Most recently, while I was wading through knee high grass searching for another bad throw during the Paradise Diamond tourney, I looked across the lake to the Ball Golf course and had to admire their very neatly manicured green, beautiful green fairway and distinct lack of knee high grass.  It was at that time, while I was noticing the third tick crawling up my "bag", that I thought what a pay to play course for DG could be like. 

I think the major problem with this idea is that the economy sucks, and most Disc Golfers are hard working folks just trying to have some cheap fun and maybe get a little exercise.  Taking what is now a cheap sport and making it pay to play would just rub salt in the wounds, and probably drive off a few individuals that make great contributions to the sport and our parks. 

On the other side of the coin, think of it like using the Jackson County Lakes.  Our taxes pay for the lakes, but to camp or to use the marinas you still have to buy a pass.

Right now P&R, be it KC, LS, Olathe, etc... owns the land/parks that the courses currently reside on.  I'm sure they would love to go Pay to Play to generate more income, but I wonder how much of that would be returned to the parks.  Up until this year, I have purchased a Jackson County lakes pass.  I have watched the fees get higher and higher over the past few years, until this year when the fees got so outrageous (I'm sure glad they spent a small fortune to overhaul the county offices) that I did not purchase a lake pass.

The only way I see Pay to Play working is on privately owned and developed land, like many Ball Golf courses.  In that regard, I can see a nice multi-sport complex with immaculate greens, disc shacks, maybe even a club house with a locker room and the whole 9 yards.  The question is, would anyone pay for the "extras"?
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
IMO they do a fine job in Smithville keeping the mowed grass mowed frequently and the trash dumped. As far as the tall grass is concerned, they have that on a Hay Lease with farmers. They must let the grass grow so the farmers have something to bail. It was a small price to pay to get 3 courses. Though I would have loved the fairways to have been mowed a little wider, I can only ask them, I can't tell them to do it.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
I'm invested at old Pike and did not think of this course until you mentioned it.
How's the lion doing?? I would like telling the donor its still there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:48:23 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »
...most Disc Golfers are hard working folks...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
as far as Old Pike, The passes few times I've been there, the grass was really tall and shaggy. Whats the $50 year paying for?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

coops

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »
as far as Old Pike, The passes few times I've been there, the grass was really tall and shaggy. Whats the $50 year paying for?

I think that is the point. If you have to pay to play (or pay for a membership) you should certainly expect a higher quality of care. If this is further investigated we need to make sure we don't doom the experiment to failure simply because the money isn't used for what it should be used for.

Also, I was at PC today and it is wonderfully mowed. Shows what a well-funded P&R can accomplish.

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »

I would love it if it was a pay-to-play by round course. However the non-prorated $50 a year is not a good deal, especially for a course in that kind of condition. I say this because I know that Old Pike doesn't have a lot of members and therefore the funds for maintenance and improvements are very limited. I feel if they had some way to charge a per round fee the course could do much better, and be more accessible to the players that are willing to pay a couple bucks to play. I know that isn't realistic though as it would basically take somebody being there to collect money daily.

That being said Old Pike could probably be in much better shape if it was a public course. I know there are some people that volunteer time there to cut grass and do various other work, but much more work is needed and apparently the membership fees are not getting it done.

I have played on only a few play-to-play courses in my 8 years of playing. The couple of privately owned p2p courses were in less than good shape, need mowing and noxious weed removal.  The one p2p course I can remember on public land was the course in Newport News Virginia. I believe at the time it was $1 to play ($2 or $20 a year now) and this course was beautiful and well maintained. It also had plenty of traffic on it, but there were not really many options in the area.

It seems to me that small fee p2p per round is the way to go. Relying on people to pay a $50 non-prorated yearly fee then relying on those same people to do work on the course is probably not such a good strategy.

Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
I think it necessary to commend and thank the Board for welcoming me (and others) into their monthly meeting last evening.  They were beyond open to the conversation of pay to play (this does not mean they endorse or want pay to play, but they were willing to listen and give next 'action steps' for myself).  Thank you KCFDC for your hospitality and your professionalism in last nights meeting, you are all doing an incredible job serving this disc golf community and the KC metro p&r's.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
follow the money trail and realize that all our kcfdc leagues are pay to play. used to be the club collected a buckandahalf per player, and thankfully reduced that cut to a buck, so  more players participate and generate more club funds, which are spent wisely by the membership. we still rely on volunteers to make the public courses better, and our pay to play system at leagues is working well. paint, cement, hardware, mulch, volunteer food, and generator rental are typical expenditures. I really hope that our city can boast about our future courses to visitors and casual players as free for all.
espouse elucidation

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
...most Disc Golfers are hard working folks...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,