Author Topic: Old Pike annual memberships  (Read 595 times)

Jedtoast

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Old Pike annual memberships
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Guys,

As a DG member at Old Pike, I'm concerned about the lack of memberships this year and the strain that is putting on the good folks that established and maintain this beautiful course.  If you're interested in joining, it's not difficult.  The best way to get set up is to come out to Old Pike Doubles on Tuesday nights, where you will most likely find Mike Thomas, who will accept the $50 annual membership fee in exchange for your tag and 2013 sticker.

I'm completely off the grid here - nobody has asked me to post this - but it's concerning to me that this course doesn't have the membership interest and funds that it had in previous years.  I worry that the non-DG part of the Old Pike club is trying to phase this course out by not supporting Mike and the rest of us.  If that is the case, we may lose the course if we don't get people signed up and paying.

I know that it's hard to pay memberships without meeting with Mike on site, believe me...he and I played phone tag and whatnot for weeks before I renewed my 2013 membership.  Please don't hold that against Mike or the club, the resources at his disposal aren't what we've had in the past, like signing up and paying fees at the pool clubhouse...that time is over.

It's one of the most entertaining courses around, you don't have to worry about overcrowding like at Rosedale, Water Works, Swope, etc., and especially lovely in the dog days of summer with all of the shade from that sun.

This might not even spark any further interest, but please understand that I wanted to get this off of my chest.  I quite simply love this course.

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pike annual memberships
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
I hear you completely.  This is a very difficult subject, and yes, I really love Old Pike as well. I mean you dont see the pool membership folks out there cleaning the pool and changing chlorine.

Ash touched on this subject in the Pay to Play thread
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:07:32 AM by Old Pike Mike »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
...but there is a telescope....
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »

Used to be. It is now gone.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:32:07 PM »
Looks like I will make a trip to next league!!!
Steven Disc Glover

Jedtoast

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
I can't blame any of you for not paying when it appears that money does not go anywhere.  The fact is that when there is not enough memberships, there is not enough capital to pay for landscaping, hell even to pay somebody's teenage kid to mow the place.  That's why people volunteer their time out there to help out.  Props to Jason and Tracy, by the way, for their work last Monday.  The place looked so much better Tuesday than it had in quite awhile.

I wonder if we can get this thing set up so that people can purchase memberships at a discount if they agree to come out once a month to trim, mow, clean up?  Call it Old Pike Work Day.  We have work days out at each course in KCFDC.  I don't know, I just don't want to lose this thing, and I know that it's been a strain on management to try to keep it going this year.

I do like the Pay to Play idea if we could figure out a way to make it work.  Unfortunately, we don't want to put up an electric fence and a keycode operated gate to keep people out.  That would really take away from the beauty of the place.  Also, people would be screwed if they go OB on Hole 2!

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:17:13 PM »
the KCFDC is hosting the KCWO volunteer party at Old Pike, hopefully this will strengthen our relationship and definitely put a little money in their pockets.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
Looks like I will make a trip to next league!!!
I made this decision without thinking what else was going on. Can't make it. Maybe the one after next.
Steven Disc Glover

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »

Used to be. It is now gone.

That sucks!  I played OP once with some fellas.  I have to say, it was certainly a spectacle, all the gems hidden out there among the course.  It surely is not easy or a rec course (LOL!). 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »
Everything looked great to me. The lion is still keeping watch and the generous donator will be happy to hear this.
Steven Disc Glover