Author Topic: Disc Golf shoes  (Read 2668 times)

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Disc Golf shoes
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
I know that Keen Delavegas are one of the best disc golf shoes out there, but I don't have that kind of money spend right now.  I would like to get a new pair of shoes that will be rugged enough to stand up to the rigors of DG and will be comfy.  Which shoes do you own and/or recommend?  Which ones should I stay away from?  I am thinking in the $60.00-$80.00 price range!  I would save a while longer to get the Delavegas, but would like to get a new pair before August.

Thanks,

Van
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

spnachio

Re: Disc Golf shoes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »
Get a pair of Vans, Van.  I've also found cheap Merrells and Keens at DSW(designer shoe warehouse I think).

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
I didn't like the "Disc Golf" Keens... But, my Keen Terghee II are the best shoe I've ever had to date.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »
I got some cheap junk shoes from some sporting goods store in Springfield, MO with a reinforced rubber toe and sole.  Pretty sweet.  $30.  Sometimes I walk around in the water in them at that pond at PC.

If you want a picture of them let me know.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
I didn't like the "Disc Golf" Keens... But, my Keen Terghee II are the best shoe I've ever had to date.
two votes for targhee twos. waterproof, substantial; everyday/golf shoe for 200+lb abuser of footwear.

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
I have had really good luck with Columbia hiking shoes from Dick's or Famous Footwear. I usually spend 45-60 on them and they will last me for a year or longer. I have usually been pretty hard on shoes, the Columbias I have had with the reinforced toe hold up really well. You can check these out.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12152869&lmdn=Category

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/95981-1029528/Columbia/Mud/Mens+Birkie+Traile+Wide.aspx

The shoes from famous are more like the ones I have and look to me like the more durable ones.

Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
I know that Keen Delavegas are one of the best disc golf shoes out there, but I don't have that kind of money spend right now.  I would like to get a new pair of shoes that will be rugged enough to stand up to the rigors of DG and will be comfy.  Which shoes do you own and/or recommend?  Which ones should I stay away from?  I am thinking in the $60.00-$80.00 price range!  I would save a while longer to get the Delavegas, but would like to get a new pair before August.

Thanks,

Van

Depending on what size you are looking for, I may have an option for you that will fit your budget.  I bought a pair of KEEN Siskiyou Waterproof Proof Trail Shoes last fall, wore them about 5-6 times on the course and they are just too short (if you know about KEEN shoes they tend to run a size small).  Since I wore them outside I can no longer take them back.  They are in EXCELLENT shape and they are no good to me.  I was getting ready to put them on Dollar Disc Auction but if you would be interested in saving a ton of cash on some excellent shoes, I'll sell them to you for $50.  I wore insoles so the insides haven't even been touched by me feet ;D  Lemme know if you are interested and I can meet up with you somewhere.  They are size  US 12 but I would recommend them for someone who wears 11 or 11.5. 

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:24 AM »

Thanks,

Van

Depending on what size you are looking for, I may have an option for you that will fit your budget.  I bought a pair of KEEN Siskiyou Waterproof Proof Trail Shoes last fall, wore them about 5-6 times on the course and they are just too short (if you know about KEEN shoes they tend to run a size small).  Since I wore them outside I can no longer take them back.  They are in EXCELLENT shape and they are no good to me.  I was getting ready to put them on Dollar Disc Auction but if you would be interested in saving a ton of cash on some excellent shoes, I'll sell them to you for $50.  I wore insoles so the insides haven't even been touched by me feet ;D  Lemme know if you are interested and I can meet up with you somewhere.  They are size  US 12 but I would recommend them for someone who wears 11 or 11.5.

Thank you, but 11's are about a size too big for me.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

coops

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »
Discussion of shoes for disc golf is impossible since it is purely based on opinion.

coops

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to put a  :o or a  ::) or a  8) to make it clear that I was joking.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

coops

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
The black and red Keens are really nice (delas, right?) but admittedly pricey. They have been the best for grip I've had the chance to play in and have retained their water-proofness the longest.

I might have to try out some of these more economical solutions, though. If the performance can be approximated for a lower price then it'll work. Heck, I only even got the Keens because Loomis had a deal to get 50% off for a pair and didn't need any more.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »
They quit making the DeLa, I am sure that a new one will be out soon.

All Terrain New Balances (comes in wide widths as well) have shown to be pretty sturdy for me as well in the past.  I know that you can get them for ~$60 at Shoe Carnival.  The one thing to remember is that if you truly find a pair of shoes you like, buy a couple of pair.  THey modify shoes quickly and though a new "version" may be out, it may not be the one that you like as well.  The last New Balances I bought (465 I think) I bought 3 pair, and am just now down to the last pair, I bought them in 2009, but I also can't seem to get the DeLa's to stay together for more than a few months of wear and tear before the seams split on the outer sole.

Being a former shoe guy (managed a shoe store for about 5 yrs, let the Bundy jokes commence) I can tell you that Keen has taken a great awareness and will come up with a new design to improve the quality of shoe for our sport.

Dick's and Stile's comment about the Targhee's is spot on though, I have loved my 2 pair I got since 2010.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

AdamC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »
I have gone through three pairs of Keen 'disc golf' shoes now (two Delaveagas and one Milo II).  They are nice shoes, but in my experience the sole on them wears out very quickly - and after 4 months of use I'm slipping and sliding on the teebox from a lack of tread. 

However, thanks to their exceptional warranty service I picked up the new Wichita model about 3 months ago and it's hands down my favorite Keen that I've owned.  Comfortable, lots of tread on the bottom, and a tad more breathable than Delas.  Only downside is non waterproof.
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/trailhead/wichita

I've also found cheap Merrells and Keens at DSW(designer shoe warehouse I think).

Agreed.  DSW is a great place to find last years trail shoes from Merrell or Keen on the cheap. 

BenC

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

Being a former shoe guy (managed a shoe store for about 5 yrs, let the Bundy jokes commence) I can tell you that Keen has taken a great awareness and will come up with a new design to improve the quality of shoe for our sport.

Did someone else have the store keys?   ;D