Author Topic: Disc Golf shoes  (Read 2742 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golf shoes
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
Being a former shoe guy (managed a shoe store for about 5 yrs, let the Bundy jokes commence) I can tell you that Keen has taken a great awareness and will come up with a new design to improve the quality of shoe for our sport.

Did someone else have the store keys?   ;D
^^^^^

No they didn't.  :P  I managed the Kinney's here at Oak Park, Bannister, Metcalf, and Blue Ridge (did some time at Indian Springs as well) before they moved me to Chicago to manage a couple of locations up there, left watching kids and shoes for my current role in recruiting now since 1993.....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
I wait for Bass Pro or Cabelas to have a sale on hiking boots and pick up a pair.  I usually have to special order (13 EEE), but they most other sizes available.  They only last about a year,  but for $30 it's not a bad deal. 
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
@ BBjon, I would try the NB shoes then, they do come in nice widths, one of the few that do that still....but $30 is a great deal on hiking boots for certain!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

rickgur

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
New Balance 411 Cross Country   Price around $55.00
Great support and traction in all weather conditions.
Purchased mine last September.   I play an ave of 5 times a week.
I am just now ready for a new pair.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »
I think that is the model that I just got as well, I haven't wore them yet though.  Again at Shoe Carnival a lot of times, it is buy one get one 50% off, so they are cheaper in 2's.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

dbolyard

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »
I just bought a pair of Wenger Swiss Army hiking boots at Famous Footwear today for $45 on clearance--only $5 less than their current online store price.  Their a mid boot hiker with plenty of tread that's not too gnarly; pictured here: http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/34582-1028491/Wenger+Swiss+Army/Cool+Grey/Mens+Anchorage+Mid.aspx#ProdDetailsTabs
They're super comfy for me (I've got hobbit feet that are flatter than a 10x firebird.), and the boots are surprisingly flexible about the ankle.  But I have no idea how they're going to hold up to disc golf.  My Columbias have worn to the point of discomfort after less than a year.  Anyone ever worn a pair of Wengers?  Everywhere I look on the web, they're pretty cheap for what they claim to offer.  That's usually a red flag, but I'm hoping it's just a quality brand trying to gain a foothold in the marketplace. ::)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:16:29 PM by dbolyard »

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
Keen is a great company and will make it right if you ever have problems with their footwear. I've got a couple pairs of their sandals, and the dog chewed the plastic toggle off one of them. I emailed Keen asking how I could go about replacing that toggle, they shot back an email asking for my address. 3 days later, I had an envelope arrive with a whole set of replacement plastic hardware inside, free of charge. Now that's how you go about pleasing and keeping customers.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

ajinks

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
I agree with Mike about Keen being a great company that stands behind their shoes.

However, by a far and wide margin, the best disc golf shoes I have ever owned are the Adidas Terrex line, found here: http://www.adidas.com/com/catalogue/outdoor-shoes/.  I picked up a basic Terrex shoe from the Adidas outlet in Osage Beach (for $30) and that shoe has lasted me well over a year+ and the shoe looks nearly the same as it did when I bought it.  Most shoes I have ever worn for DG have lasted 3-6 months max.  The sole is very grippy and lasts forever.  Plus there's good rubber on the toe of the shoe so the sole doesn't tear away from the midsole. 

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
www.obozfootwear.com

I've had a pair of the Sawtooth Mids BDRY since Spring '12.  They are cool looking  8)...but too warm on my feet Spring/Summer for DG.  Well designed, HIGH quality footwear for cooler temps.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!