Author Topic: Work Day-Saturday (Aug 10 from 9-2ish) for Lion's Den Help-help where you can!  (Read 454 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I am going to be walking through the holes in their normal configuration, but we will once again be using the Lion's Den Version of the course, which means that it will be a shorter version.  I haven't yet decided on the entire back side of the course for the shorter version, but suffice it to say it shall be a fun little round of golf.
#1-Clean the hillside of trash and honeysuckle if we can
#2-Mow (move pin short?  What say you folks?)
#3-Clean the green, clean all the rock to expose it better before the green as well as above it
#4-Mow and move to the right placement
#5-Mow? (I got an awful lot done there last night)
#6-Mow?  Unsure it really needs it, maybe continue to line fairway, and possibly lower off the pad greenery
#6-#7 exit ramp, mow/weedwack exit landing area
#7-Clean the side of the first hill and some of the back for the mini course, and the green up on top around both placements
#7-#8 clear the trail all the way to the rocks (I believe that Penny got some of that done already last night)
#8-clean all the way to the stage all the growth along the rocks, remove the downed tree branch (started)
Stage area-Clear all the greenery on the rocks visually distracting, all the area around it cleaned up
#9-Clear out towards the lake view, really open that area back up quite a bit

I need to repaint the Teeing areas from the road, please remember that the LDO version will be using a lot of the road for teeing areas, there is one by the practice basket, and then along the road from basically the tree before #18 pin all the way up so we don't want to park on that side unless further down the road towards #18 pad.  We will NOT be using #17 basket or #18 pad in this configuration, so you can park down along there.  We will be using #10 tee pad though, so you want to stay South of that if you can.  We hope to have the parking area pretty well marked all the way, but please do look for the NO Parking Signs, and once they stop, you should be able to park along the roads accordingly!

I think that we will be out there on Saturday from probably 9-2 or so, we will be working on these items and then also finalizing the 18 hole Mini disc Golf course as well so that we can get it all set up and ready to go for everyone to enjoy during the event as well.

Feel free to visit the website www.lionsdenopen.com for more information about the event coming up!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Definitely 2 on the short.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
There is the first vote....others?
FWIW, I will probably try to get out there tonight and work on moving the baskets into place, probably trying to mow #4 and weed eat #3...probably working on #3 more than anything else as it has been neglected this most this year....of course if you want to help come on out.  If you wanna play league at WW, don't blame ya!  If you can make it out on Saturday to help, please do.  Since it is harder to get to the holes when the drive is closed, I figured that I better make a chance at it tonight to do some of the work out there!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Jack, I will try to be there Saturday. My thoughts are that on #4, we should only use the right placement if the ditch to the right is cleared of weeds/brush in order to reduce the number of lost discs and people having to get into that ditch to retrieve them.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
ok, that maybe a good idea on that one to clean up.  As for tonight...plans are a changing, I am gonna go spend some time with the girls, but if you want to go out and clean up don't let my absence stop you from doing so.  I may try to get out there tomorrow night now instead....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
2 short!

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
2 short!

Well of course the lefty wants it short... He has hole 1 hyzer, hole 3 hyzer, why not leave a straight shot in between and make it real easy for him!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2 short!

Well of course the lefty wants it short... He has hole 1 hyzer, hole 3 hyzer, why not leave a straight shot in between and make it real easy for him!

HA!!! Riiiiiiight??!!???
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
LDO configuration is along these lines....
#1-from 1 pad to Practice Basket
#2-Tee from Road to #1 basket
#3-is #2 short
#4-is #3 in the long setting
#5-is #4 in the position it sits (undetermined as of now)
#6-is #5-probably move that back to short
#7-is #6-I doubt I move it, too much to clear out the left placement
#8-is #7 Short placement
#9-is going to be teeing from #7 in the woods long to middle of fairway......
This will then be where you can take a break afterwards, or probably finish, as I anticipate that most people will start on the back 9 and then come around here for the finishing as you follow the course.....
#10-will be #10 to right short placement (current location)
#11-tee from road by tree on #18 pin to blue practice basket
#12-will be #11 to short pin (Red practice basket)
#13-tee from road to #11 long basket
#14-#12 original
#15-Tee from #13 to Alt placement by trees on the right by the road
#16-tee from road to #14 short
#17-tee from road to #16 short
#18-tee from #17 pad back to #18 basket (I may move this on the hill...haven't decided, but leaning heavily on that direction, it prevents crossing #11 in this configuration.

What this means is that there will be a "temp" placement on #13 only for the Lion's Den, it also means that unfortunately, no none of the "new holes" will be in play.  I know, but you know I promised "tee pads" for years as well and eventually they did show up.  Give it time, it is a volunteer effort of love! 

This configuration should enable us to have a round done even in 5 & 6 somes within about 1:30-2:00 out there, and the speedy people should be able to hammer it out in under an hour.  If while you are playing there is a faster group, please allow them to play through!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I have to work for a couple hours in the morning but will be out right after that.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
BIG BIG BIG THANKS to the following people:
Pete Cashen
Mark Mosely
Ted Keith
Jose Ossa
Mike Thomas
Mike Keizer
Mike Penney(Got it started earlier in the week)
Hal Baby (And friends..... :-) )
Dick Parker
Pablo Klunel

I feel like I am missing someone, and I didn't take notes.....but suffice it to say we got a lot tackled on Saturday out there as a group, the stage area is looking sharp, the whole cliffside is exposed, and we cleaned up quite a bit of area for a new mini golf layout.

There really isn't a lot left to do, but if you find yourself looking for something to do in advance to help here is what I am hoping to accomplish this week:
Mow-fairway #2 & 4
Clean #3 cliff side and the hillside (Next big item todo in all honesty)
Clean the area between the stage and #8 long, like to have all that exposed (lowest priority)
Clean #1 hillside, remove all the trash, and chop out honeysuckle

Really that is all that I can think of for the LDO prep that is left.  I am probably going to try to tackle #3 tonight instead of playing league out there.  I will get things moving forward with league, and then work on #3, and probably attempt to tackle the mowing on #4 as well.  I will probably also try to move pins #2, and #5 tonight, and probably won't move #7 until Friday out there.  I may get the alternate sleeve in on #13 for the LDO, but doubtful.

Tonight at league we will not play the LDO configuration, but next week we will.

Thanks again to all the people that stepped up to help.  It was great seeing employees of both disc golf stores stepping up to help out in the disc golf community.  It takes an entire community to help our courses, and concerted efforts like this improve the parks, improve the courses, and give all of us some enjoyment.

Looking forward to finishing up this week, and hopeful that we have a great time next Saturday out there!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"