Author Topic: Rolla - Lion's Club DGC  (Read 301 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Rolla - Lion's Club DGC
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
Has anyone played this course?  Playing the tourney there this weekend and have no idea what to expect.  It looks pretty hairy, but with some bomber holes mixed in.  Aside from tick repellant, does anyone have any pointers?  I won't have time to play it before the round starts so I'm going in blind here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:41:22 AM by jhinck2 »
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rolla - Lion's Club DGC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
I played the course on my last recruiting trip down there.  The Lion's Club down there did a great job to put in a fun course. 

My memory is that there are a few trees that can swallow a disc on the course.  I remember having to spend about 30 minutes getting a disc out of a tree on hole 2.

I thought there was one hole near the end of the woods that had a switchback fairway.  I thought if I had some time I could figure out a high route that would go directly to the hole.

Have fun, wish I could join you.
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

swezy

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
Fun course.  Good mix of open and wooded holes.  Vince is right about the "switchback" hole.  If you have time to walk this section before playing, I would highly recommend it. 

Maid Rite burger after the round ain't too bad either!
kcfdc #1468

pdga #57407

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:45 PM »
where's Jack chastising you for not Lions Denning it up...? How dare you think of going elsewhere?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
It's lough to argue against a Lion's Club event during Leo's season.

In all honesty, I am just happy that we aren't competing with the Emporia Open this year for like the 3rd time in the history of the event.  So I don't wanna discourage people from playing in a competitive tournament, let alone one that is about 3 and half hours away.  If you wanna play against people that bad, go for it.  We will miss hopped along, don't get me wrong, but a decision that he wants to make up for lost time makes sense in my book.

So though I thought of saying something, it seemed ill appropriate, and the trophy that they have is pretty cool, it's brought to you from the Lion's Club...I mean it was hard to really think of how one (this one) could really bash anything about it, other than it falling on the LDO date. ???
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
Jack is spot on.  I needed to make up for lost time and make my PDGA membership fee worthwhile - for my current AM membership, I need to play a minimum of 5 tournaments a year to realize the cost savings on PDGA tournaments.  I believe this is one of the first tournaments at the Lion's Club course and I'm excited to play on Titan baskets - never seen them before.  Russ puts on a good tournament and two rounds of 22 holes is tough to pass up for $60 AND a players pack included.  Not to mention he does a ring of fire after every tournament with free giveaways. 

I do have to admit that I had to read Jack's post a few times to understand his comment about wanting to play against people that bad.  Originally, I thought he was bashing the competition and I highly doubt George would take kindly to this kind of talk.  But then, I realized that you were simply reference playing against people in lieu of with people.   :o

And yes, the trophy is SICK - it's no Branson Cedars Treehouz trophy, but it's pretty sweet.
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
right, meant if you want that competitive nature so bad, not the talent level.   ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"