Author Topic: Hello and help  (Read 1235 times)

newflyer59

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Hello and help
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
Hello Guys,
New to the sport. And wanting to know where the supply store downtown is. And is there video that would help me not look totally lost on the courses? Not sure of some of the terminology and practices. Thank you, Any help would be appreciated.

quinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »
There are two stores in downtown area - Dynamic Disc and Disc Gold World.  Just google to find directions.  You can buy some excellent videos there - the Champions Way with Felberg and Climo.  Name might not be correct?  ???

Here is a free video that might help.

Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beto

Good luck and welcome. 

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
The guy in the video has no follow through and the video is not an entertaining way to learn how to play. 

Best bet is to go to youtube, type in PDGA, and press enter.  Watch these videos.  These are the world's best. 

Enjoy.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

newflyer59

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will try and find the stores soon. So if you see a old biker looking guy on the courses be patient with him. It might be me. LOL I really need something to keep me busy and my work keeps me away a lot. So I needed something really flexible on days to play. Thanks again

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
Here are the addresses to the Disc golf shops here in the metro area:

Disc Golf World
509 E. 18th Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64108
Phone: 888-237-6884

Dynamic Disc Kansas City
2854 West 47th Street
Kansas City, KS 66103
Phone: 913-738-6908

Also, a good series of educational videos is the 'Discmainia: Deep in the Game' on YouTube. It was a big help for me when I was trying to learn more.

Another great way to learn is by joining one of the weekly leagues. I like the friday traveling leagues, myself. Our community is great for teaching newer players. You can always post on here to see of there is anyone that would like to meet you for a round :)
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:50:03 AM »
Monday night new players league at Rosedale at 5:15 is a good place to start as well. 
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
Monday night new players league at Rosedale at 5:15 is a good place to start as well.

^^^^^ YES!!! Do this!^^^^^  Its is a wonderful place to start and a great place to meet some very friendly and helpful players.

And if you live on the Missouri side and can't make it out to Rosedale there is a Beginners League at the Pleasant Hill course on thursday nights at 5:30.
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
This is a pretty decent video. It illustrates some common problems well.
Driving Instruction- Will Schusterick

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
The guy in the video has no follow through and the video is not an entertaining way to learn how to play. 

Best bet is to go to youtube, type in PDGA, and press enter.  Watch these videos.  These are the world's best. 

Enjoy.

Actually the Beato video is how I learned how to do an x-step. The video isn't perfect but I like how he starts from a 1-step approach, then 2-steps, then a full x-step.

That's how I learned how to do an x-step after playing almost 3 years of disc golf without it.

quinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »
Will's video is excellent but he does not include footwork.  Beato does include footwork. There is something to be learned from both videos.  I find instructional videos more helpful than watching, but's that me and I am lazy.

quinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »
One has to learn to stand before they can walk.  :)

x-step is probably one of the last things a beginner should tackle.  Schusterick's stand and throw practice technique is an excellent way for a newbie to learn control in both driving and up game.  It should not take too long to get comfortable with throwing from a stance... Once consistency is established, then move towards integrating the advanced technique of the x-step.

Good point.  Also, pros will tell you to start with only putters and mids.