Author Topic: Kansas City Juniors Open- Oct 12th  (Read 974 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Kansas City Juniors Open- Oct 12th
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
Kansas City Juniors Open
At Fox Hill Elementary
October 12th

TIMES:Flex start  between 8:30 -10:30- have to tee off between those times

DIVISIONS: age  0-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-14, 15-18
-Single play is competition based and costs $10- you get a disc and raffle ticket (1st 2nd and 3rd  prize out) 
-Doubles play is for fun and costs  $15 but both players get a disc and raffle ticket
-$5 Buy back in for single or double play, best score is taken, each time you buy back in you get a     raffle ticket
-every player will win from the raffle
-$2 of every entry goes to United Way
-Ring of fire and raffle drawing at 1:30
-KC DISC DAWGS will be performing
-Dynamic Discs selling discs on site and discs available for payout
-BBQ food and drinks on site for sale- proceeds go to Fox Hill DGC love fund

Contact info:

wlentz@nkcschools.org
jtheiss@bssd.net
scott@dynamicdiscs.com

545 N.E 106th Street
KCMO 64155

Hammertree

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City Juniors Open- Oct 12th
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
my son and i will be there! that is awesome sauce! thanks , John, looks like it's going to be a blast. those kids are going to LOVE the ring of fire. always a fun cap off to an event.
"do you see what happens, Larry?"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Here is a little history of Fox Hill disc golf and the doubles event.  Fox Hill's first PE teacher was Coach Duane Hall.  He started up a disc golf double tournament 22 years, back in 1991.  Coach Hall brought the event to Fox Hill from his former school, so the exact number of years is not known at this point.  Every year the event has raised funds for United Way.  The event has always cost $10 with all proceeds going to United Way.  It is believed that this event has raised between $5,000-$8,000 dollars over the last 22 years.  Coach Hall used the resources that he had available in supply closet, like so many PE teachers.  He made targets using cones, hula hoops, and homemade PVC flagsticks. 

Enter Coach Bill Lentz in  1995.  Bill picked up the tradition and continued to promote disc sports, disc golf, and ran the doubles event.  Folks have attended this event over the years to spend quality family time together, get some exercise, and raise funds for United Way.  Players did not complain about the types of baskets, the players pack, or the course set up.  They were simply out to have fun and huck some plastic.

Bill and I have been friends since we met at the Missouri Cupstacking Championship 11 years ago and he contacted me several years back about getting a disc golf course.  When we walked the land for the first time, I did not want to tell him how expensive it was going to be to clear all that land, grade it, seed it, spray it etc, but he remained optimistic.  Several years later, much to my amazement, Bill made Fox Hill a reality.  With thousand of dollars donated, thousands in machinery hours donated, thousand in time given by Messengers lawn care workers, Eagle Scout projects planned and finished, KCFDC work days,  Steve Dresser  running his skid, we now have  a real course to continue the legacy of Coach Duane Hall's doubles event.

Fox Hill Doubles will now be held for the 23rd year and Kansas City will be getting a quality Juniors event that will coincide with the longest running doubles event in Kansas City.  Don't miss out....... come out and join us for a fun filled family day of disc sports at the Kansas City Juniors Open on Oct 12th.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:14:24 AM by john theiss »

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:18 PM »
Count on the boy and me to be there! He has been asking about it with much excitement ever since I first brought it up last week  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:50:51 PM by andyportwood »
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »
Sounds exciting John.
Steven Disc Glover

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »
Things are shaping up nicely for this weekend.  Course is getting prepped this week, CTP and Ring of Fire prizes are coming in from our sponsors, and the weather is looking very pleasant with low 70s. 

Big thanks to our sponsors so far... KCFDC, Innnova, PDGA,  Crazy John Brooks, and DD.  It appears that folks will be leaving with really good items for the raffle and other contests. 

Come on out and enjoy a frisbee day while listening to music playing throughout the course, disc golf, disc dawgs, and mini golf.

We have lots of interests from our north land schools and blue springs schools, but hoping to see some familiar faces from our beloved disc golf community.

John

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »
I offered to sponsor one round per player to the kids I've been working with in McLouth.
Steven Disc Glover

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »
Well done John! Great course for the juniors and plenty of stuff to keep the kids entertained.
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

KCDiscDawg

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Disc Dogs
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »
Lots of happy youths out today... I saw huge smiles and heard lots of laughter.. great job men!
>>>------> Earth<>Wind<> Fire<>Water<------<<<

Tony Burnett aka " Dirty Bird Dog"
PDGA #53029
KCFDC#1532

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
I heard there may have even ben an ace?!  :o
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

KCDiscDawg

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Disc Dogs
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
There was an ace in the mini golf..... I heard one young one had a chain out on the drive...... so close
>>>------> Earth<>Wind<> Fire<>Water<------<<<

Tony Burnett aka " Dirty Bird Dog"
PDGA #53029
KCFDC#1532

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »
Lots of happy youths out today... I saw huge smiles and heard lots of laughter.. great job men!
The group I was with had an 11 yr. old who cried most of the second half of the round because he teed off on the long pad instead of the short. Him and his brother are very competitive. It took everything I had to keep from telling the dad he was on his own. After the round was over both parents were very gracious for me putting up with his behavior. In the end he won a CTP prize and a ring of fire prize. We were one of the first to show up and the last to leave. We stuck around and played another round. Thanks John for helping put this together and also to the KC Disc Dogs who are always entertaining. That course is very technical. Glad I played it
Steven Disc Glover

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
Big thanks to our sponsors KCFDC, DD, Innova, PDGA and for the super demo from KC Disc Dawgs. 
 Also thanks to Jack Lowe for the tic tac throw baskets and mini course baskets, along with Crazy John Brooks for some signed  custom stamped Frisbees, and Laron Harris for signed MO-Kan posters. 

I saw countless smiles throughout the day from not only kids but their parents as well.  The weather was perfect and i think things ran smoothly for the most part.  We had 40 entries and plenty of things for folks to do. 

Congrats to Ben "Ace Daddy" Dresser who got an ace.  Ben was expecting his dad to pay him the $100 offer that has been on  the table but was throwing from the short pads so it nullified the deal. 

I was hoping for a larger turnout, however, with only 40 entries, everyone that stuck around for the raffle won something and everyone who entered the ROF left with goodies as well.  Thanks again everybody for the donations. 

John

Jerry Patterson KCFDC #1610

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
thanks again! my kids had a blast! my son played very well an finished at par! hoping to see more stuff for the youth coming up !?!