Poll

Would you be interested in a mid-Summer Swap Meet to exchange some plastic?

Yes - I'm In
6 (46.2%)
No - I have all the discs I need / Too many / Spouse will divorce me if I get anymore discs.
1 (7.7%)
No - I will wait for the Annual Meeting.
3 (23.1%)
Maybe - If it's in Missouri, near my house
2 (15.4%)
Maybe - If it's in Kansas, near my house
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: July 26, 2015, 12:00:50 pm

Author Topic: Swap Meet  (Read 347 times)

T Dog

• Am Poster
  • John 15:18-20
    • View Profile
Swap Meet
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:00:50 pm »
Just gauging the interest.  Not real serious at this point but who knows.

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • Float like a Skeeter, sting like a Buzzz.
    • View Profile
Re: Swap Meet
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »
Yes. Hell yes. You read my mind. This is something I've been thinking about for a few weeks. I'm in. 

That said, a hook to get more people to come to the meet might be a good idea, so those who are lukewarm on the trading could have something else to do. Like, say, beer, or BBQ, or a party-style DG-related game that's not just another 18 holes of DG.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:27:17 pm »
I'm for the swap meet too. I have a bunch either I've never thrown yet, may not too and can't throw any more. 

How about a swap meet place set up at MAC?

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 01:34:44 pm »
MAC is at three different courses, which could make it hard for some people to get to whichever location the meet-up is held at.

T Dog

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:42:28 am »
I don't think having it at tournament would be my first pick.  I would think most people would be focused on the tourney, and as Nova mentioned, the MAC and most tournaments are at multiple locations.

I am just thinking simplicity, mostly just setting a date and a location then maybe having a round after.  Like an all in Bag Tag round or something super simple.  If it were a beer fest that would limit it to parks in MO which might be fine if that ends up being the location.

Again just spitting ideas. 

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 10:23:26 am »
What about a few tables set up day before the MAC at a location where players packs can be picked up?

Say the side parking lot of DD? Day before the event? Pick up players packs, hang out, swap meet, etc.  I'll ask Scott and Josh if it's a possibility. 

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:53:27 am »
What about a few tables set up day before the MAC at a location where players packs can be picked up?

Say the side parking lot of DD? Day before the event? Pick up players packs, hang out, swap meet, etc.  I'll ask Scott and Josh if it's a possibility.

I agree that this sounds like a good idea. I would love to swap some disc. But, I'm not sure it is fair to ask to set it up by DD.  On the day people are
picking up a players pack, DD would  probably like to sell them new disc.  Just a thought.

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:07:59 am »
Here's a crazy idea: picnic and swap. Choose a DG course that has a decent pavilion and do a swap and picnic or BBQ at the same time. By placing it adjacent to a DG course, prospective swappers could test-throw unfamiliar discs on a nearby fairway prior to agreeing to the swap. Also, food makes everything better.  ;D

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 12:11:33 pm »
Ok, I need a number, roughly, how many would be interested.  Spread the word.  We need to get a count please.  Thank you.  (Details to follow)

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »
I am I am! 

I'll ask around at the Divas weekly league tonight and see if anyone there is, too.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »
Here's a crazy idea: picnic and swap. Choose a DG course that has a decent pavilion and do a swap and picnic or BBQ at the same time. By placing it adjacent to a DG course, prospective swappers could test-throw unfamiliar discs on a nearby fairway prior to agreeing to the swap. Also, food makes everything better.  ;D

Great idea! We have done this before the club elections in the past and folks have stuff to sell and trade for sure. Thanks for getting this going and I hope I can make it.

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:32 pm »
Yeah, when this topic popped up I dug through the forum archives and saw that there's swap at the November elections, but that's half a year away! Given the tempo at which an active DGer accumulates discs, perhaps semi-annually is the way to go. 

Also, any excuse for a cookout. . .

T Dog

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:45:34 am »
Yeah, when this topic popped up I dug through the forum archives and saw that there's swap at the November elections, but that's half a year away! ...

Yeah, that's why I put the second no on the poll. I just thought doing one in the middle of the season would be good too.  And like you mentioned, having it at a course, you can test the disc if you want.  I guess great minds think alike.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:49:54 am by T Dog »