Author Topic: City of Fountains - PDGA Event - November 3rd  (Read 6723 times)

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: City of Fountains - PDGA Event - November 3rd
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Little Blue and short Cliff Drive is a must due to time constraints.  Check in is currently scheduled for 8-9 AM, meaning we probably won't tee off at Blue Valley until 9:15 at the very earliest.  Daylight savings is that Sunday, and sunset is around 5:15.  Take away an hour for lunch, and that only leaves 7 hours to play both courses, which is going to be cutting it close, even with the "short" Blue Valley configuration.  I imagine it will be very difficult to finish both rounds before sunset if this tournament has more than 72 players.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
I was just trying to put together a plan to get the big Blue and short Cliff in the same day.  Unfortunately not everyone plays as quickly as Danger and I, so I take that into consideration, and even if I shorten BV as short as you can from the "long pads" it will be a 4.5 minimum tourney round.  That leaves us being done at 2 pm for BV, then lunch, 3:15 start at Cliff, and finishing at 5:45 at Cliff, with all of us using "illegally modified discs" due to glow sticks.

With that being said, going to the "inner" course at Blue Valley should allow us to finish the round one by 12:30, start Cliff at 1:45, be done by 4:30 and have light for everyone.

I will work with Scott to move back into Daylight Savings era next year, but this is what we have to deal with this year, and is my own suggestion.

Prove us wrong, pre-register and fill up so we start earlier.......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
Gonna try and make this.....giggity... 8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
"illegally modified discs"

Glow lights can be legally used in the situations of decreased daylight.

http://www.pdga.com/glowin-in-the-winter

Question: Can only PDGA Approved glow discs be used for sanctioned play in the dusk and dark?

Answer: The PDGA office has approved a blanket waiver so any PDGA Approved disc may be used with glow stick or LED light attached, preferably to the underside of transparent discs, after sunset in your time zone. In addition, LED lights taped to PDGA Approved discs can be used during daylight specifically when there is sufficient snow cover on the course and the LED might make the disc easier to locate. Non-PDGA Approved discs such as those with built-in LED lights cannot be used at any time during sanctioned play.

I think we should push this after dark.  How cool would that be?!

KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
Better yet - include some LED's in the player's pack.
Or a glow disc itself (althought they are hard to see in my opinion).
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »
I changed the time for checkin on the flyer, please be aware of the time change.  this should allow us plenty of time to play without the worry of playing until dark.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
So with the time change is it Big Blue?

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 09:12:13 AM »
We have had a few more registrations for the City of Fountains.  Pre Registration will help us determine how many players we can allow into this event.  If Pre-Reg is low than we will just fill one course, if pre reg starts to fill, we can make the arrangements to split between the two courses allowing for more players.
Scott Reek

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 09:13:44 AM »

As of now I am planning on keeping it as little blue and a cliff set up short.  The earlier time just helps us not to have to deal with darkness.
Scott Reek

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »

As of now I am planning on keeping it as little blue and a cliff set up short.  The earlier time just helps us not to have to deal with darkness.

If we move to October next year we may be able to get both in, but right now, and having "inexperienced players at Blue Valley" playing will slow things down out there so much, even "little Blue" will be playing close to 4 hours for some, with Cliff even in short setting taking 3 hours for tourney play, that means 7-7.5 hours of golf, 1.5 for lunch = 9 hours.  Starting at 8:30=~5:00-5:30 finish:
Nov 3, 2013   6:48 AM   5:15 PM   10h 26m 30s   − 2m 11s   12:02 PM   35.6    92.206

Note, that is though Daylight Time change to standard, so the 8:30 start will still feel like 9:30 to most folks that day.  On a positive note, don't change your clocks, and you will be on time and help with registration.

This cuts it close on time, but should be ok for the most part for the event!

Hoping I can Hop into the event!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
i'll play mpg. should this be a summer event? also i'm looking for the info on the fountain across from 18 green that jack had in a program once upon a time.
espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
http://kcparks.org/park/blue-valley-park/

The last sentence.  It was removed and the funding for the additional disc golf courses for Blue Valley that I had written a grant for were requested by the KCMO P&R to use for the current water park.

The fountain needed over $1million in repairs and wasn't going to be working appropriately possibly even with that repair.  As such a determination was made to remove it and proceed with the existing park.  That fountain initially (as I have been told) was used similarly to the water park, where people played and enjoyed the spraying during the summer months.  You may remember that there was a "beach volley ball" area as well to the north of the existing water park (some of you may have helped me get my truck out when it got stuck there during a temp set up) so that area was heavily used in regards to that patronage at one point.  It went into disrepair in the 80's I believe and never was fixed....sat un-used, and finally removed......

I know (or think that I do) too much about these parks that I work in and love don't I?...... ???
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 11:09:11 AM »
sure jack, thanks - everybody knows that, but did you know that old macdonald was a really bad speller?
espouse elucidation

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
E I E I O
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »
Current registration is up to 27 players.  We are getting a few each day.
Scott Reek