Author Topic: new course going in at baldwin ks. out at spring lake south of town  (Read 1109 times)

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Just heard a new course is going to be put in a spring lake south of baldwin kansas.  Theres to be 18 holes with 3 or 4 holes with water hazards. Possibly a basket inside one of the shelters that are at the lake already. Course will be on the east side of the lake on the grassy hill.  Looks to have holes with the distance of 300 feet for most of the holes.  Talked to the baldwin  city recs department and they want to make it a community project. There looking for volunteers to help to put in the pipes and baskets and clean up of the course such as tree trimming and brush removal. Dont know off hand what there number is but you could look it up and give them a call. Maybe they will move faster on the project if people start calling them up and asking about it.  Concrete tees to go in next year possibly.  They have a festival down here called the mapleleaf festival in october every year. Maybe we could start a mapleleaf disc golf tournament in a few years to coinside with the festival. Well that's just a thought.
Steve keithley

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Re: new course going in at baldwin ks. out at spring lake south of town
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
Is that the Baldwin City Lake I see on google maps or the non marked lake on the south west side of town?
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »
Around here we always called it the old city lake. The real name is spring lake. Its southeast of town about 3 miles or so. According to the recs dept. they were suppose tohave gotten the baskets in august. I drove out there and they hhaven't even brush hogged down the waist high prairie grass yet either. So I'm thinking that nothings going to get done till at least next spring.  I talked to rick at disc golf world and he knew who designed the holes.  He said it should be a creditable course. It will be a great place for me to play every evening since I'm only 5 minutes away from there. Heres to hoping the get things moving on it sooner than later.
Steve keithley

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »

What's going on this Sunday then, if the course is not yet playable?
Joe Hesting

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »
that looks kinda cool
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
Come experience the new MD Disc Golf nickel plated baskets called "The BasketOctober"!!!

We will be using portable baskets for this tourney so that the course can be tweeked before installing permanent baskets. Your input is what we want! Come be a part of this course development and try the newest design in baskets.

October 27th - Baldwin City Course Kick-Off - Map and directions below...

Directions to the course: Note that highway 56 west of Baldwin City is closed.

From the center of downtown Baldwin City, go south on 6th St which is also E 1700 Rd to N 150 Rd. Turn left (east) and go to E 1800 Rd. Turn right (south) and go to N 100 Rd. Turn left (east) and you are there.

See direction to the course on Map  | View map of Baldwin City Disc Golf Course

http://discsunlimited.net/tournaments/Non-KDGA-Events

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
Highway 56 west of Baldwin is now open.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
I was just out there to check things out. How are we to play when the grassy area east of the lake is still waist high prairie grass thats not been mowed all year. Are you sure this is really going on. I live in baldwin and I don't see this working this sunday. I want to play and give my opinion on this course. I guess I ll have to go out and see if anybody shows up. Does anybody have more info on this tournament?
Steve keithley

spnachio

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »
I called the flier and talked to Mike.  He said there should be some mowed fairways.  Maybe this will be like smithville. Tall grass for the rough.  I guess we will all have to go check it out?  Here is a link to the fb group.  Or a pic.  I'm not the tech guy so here goes:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/442032562573850/#!/photo.php?fbid=667673259924501&set=gm.453917761385330&type=1&theater

And dont worry about the Chiefs.  They're favored by a touchdown and I'll say they will win by at least 10 probably 2 touchdowns.  Jeffo line is at 12.5.  Bring a radio

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:53:09 PM by spinachio »

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
IFF this is anything like the Clinton Lake course from a few years ago...your cardmates will want to take turns spotting. 
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
IFF this is anything like the Clinton Lake course from a few years ago...your cardmates will want to take turns spotting.

Clinton Lake was playable only after they did a prairie burn.  But now that the baskets are taken down because some were stolen....it's not even that.

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
I was just out there to check things out. How are we to play when the grassy area east of the lake is still waist high prairie grass thats not been mowed all year. Are you sure this is really going on. I live in baldwin and I don't see this working this sunday. I want to play and give my opinion on this course. I guess I ll have to go out and see if anybody shows up. Does anybody have more info on this tournament?

In Response

Joe Hesting -  "There is some worry on the KCFDC board, due to somebody going out there and saying there is no mowed fairways as of yesterday. Do you know, are they getting mowed today, or what's the story? So we can ease this Fear of tall grass:)"

Micheal Carson - "Just got confirmation that the course has been mowed. They only mowed the fairways, that could be why someone is saying it is not mowed."
Joe Hesting

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
I was just out there 30 minutes ago.  They are actively mowing when I was there.  If you look at the map

http://discsunlimited.net/image/data/miscellaneous/Baldwin-Course-Map.pdf

everything inside the red lines is not mowed.  There was a tractor with a ditch mower making the rounds.  When I left, the fairways were at least the width of a country 2-lane road.

The grass for holes 4-9, 18 was very nice.  Thick and low cut.  I think there is a lot of potential out there and it seemed to me that the park is currently in very low use.  DG would be perfect to bring some activity to it.

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
So is the tournament on for sunday. I have afew fellows who want to play but they want to make sure its really gonna happen. Before they make the drive down.
Steve keithley

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
Per Michael Carson above, I would say yes.  Carson is one of the people running it.