Author Topic: Be Thankful For What You've Got  (Read 409 times)

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Be Thankful For What You've Got
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:05:38 AM »
Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac (gangsta whitewalls, TV antenna in the back, etc.)... You may not have a car at all... But, remember, brothers and sisters, you can still stand tall. Just be thankful for what you've got. ;D

I wanted to share a few pics from my recent vacation to my hometown of beautiful, sunny, Detroit, Michigan. While the Detroit metro area does have its share of quality disc golf courses (Firefighters Park, Oakland University, Stoney Creek, Toboggan, etc), the two courses located in Detroit city limits, proper, are totally f*#%ed.

This is the one basket at Detroit's Laskey Park that hadn't yet been stolen. Yes, the other seventeen baskets are gone. The basket had been broken from the inner sleeve, right at the welds. Eric Minton said I should have taken it, and I think he is probably right, but I left it for the scrappers instead since it's just a Discatcher!

What really sucked was that I had taken my best friend's younger brother up there to show him how to play, and then the thieves and vandals (once again) ruin it for everyone. This is the kind of thing Detroiters have to put up with on a regular basis-- I got to come back here to KC after it was all said and done, but Perry and his buddies have to live through this kind of crap every day --it's just sad to think about.

The next day, I went down to Belle Isle, a Detroit city park, which is a big island on the Detroit River and probably the closest thing to our Swope Park in terms of being a place where folks can hang out on the weekends, have picnics, barbecues, and recreate. In the midst of Detroit's bankruptcy proceedings, Belle Isle was recently handed over to the State of Michigan and will become a state park for at least the next 30 years. Eventually, this handover should provide Belle Isle with the money and care it needs to be restored to the gem it once was, but it remains a shell of its former self for now. Once again, I had hoped to geta round of disc golf in, but it was not meant to be.

The Belle Isle Disc Golf Course is an ongoing endeavor at the moment, or so I'm told. It sits on what used to be the Belle Isle (ball) Golf Course.

They have a pro shop, even, but it was closed and in disrepair. I thought the modified "Detroit D" logo on the door was pretty cool.

Check out the grand entryway leading onto the course!

The course actually had a few baskets; Chainstars, I believe, as well as benches. But the entire course looked like this:

So anyway, the message here is to be thankful for having such a great parks system here in KC, and great disc golf courses too. I know, we already knew that, but this drives the point home even more, at least for me. Take care of your courses! 8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

fenton

Re: Be Thankful For What You've Got
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
Great perspective, sad to see a place in this country like this.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
I was thinking about this over the weekend.  We have a great disc community(ultimate, disc dawgs, disc golf, disc stores) in KC.  There are really solid disc groups that do so many great things.  It is all about the selfless people that make these groups so amazing and we are blessed with so many dedicated folks that give back. 

The issues that we stress over or complain about, really seem to be minor issues compared to what is happening in Detroit.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
Diggin' in the scene with a gangsta lean' oooooooh.

Thanks for The D-Town Pics. Wild stuff up there man
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »
espouse elucidation

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
Like  ::)
Joe Hesting

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Jamie. I knew there had to be more than one good rapper from Michigan, and we are still looking apparently... ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »
I'm just leaving this one alone....
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

NOSOLOGLOWYO