Author Topic: 30 foot lights  (Read 606 times)

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
30 foot lights
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:24:23 AM »
My course that I work at has twenty one 30' lights that used to be in our old parking lot. We held onto them for about 5 or so years because we had thought about building a putt putt course on the corner of our property which never materialized. I am posting this here, because I thought what an awesome idea it would be to have a lighted course somewhere in the KC Metro. Yes it is a wild idea, maybe not economically feasible because of the concrete and wire that would need to be ran, but still an idea. My best thought would be on a 9 hole course (short) like little Blue Valley, or the first 9 of a course that isn't exceptionally hard like PC. The thing is i am not sure we can just give these away. It would have to go to "An organization" and we will not be responsible for the handling or shipping of these. I'm sure they would scrap for a decent price too so it would have to be a well organized thought with financial backing that has a purpose, not just to take to the scrap yard and reap the benefits. So for you course designers, Parks and Rec big hitters, and leaders of our awesome Disc community this is just one of those opportunities that you might want to consider. If seriously interested please DM me and i will get in contact with you. Thanks and let me know if i can provide any further information.

Berto

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 30 foot lights
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
Thornfield or a private course might be interested in these.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
True, but my assumption is that a private course probably doesn't want people playing in the evenings. I really think these could be utilized at a place like Swope where you could place these near a basket and not worry so much about the tee pad. I understand people love glow and this would take away from playing in the pitch black, but I also think that in daylight savings time you could utilize the course for a much longer period, or even in the summer when it is so blasted hot you could play in the evenings when it is cooler. Just a crazy idea...

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:09:52 PM »
Put em at Birdland
PDGA# 51376

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:22:19 AM »
This guy is always keeping his eyes and ears open on how to better the sport.  No joke, you want this guy on the
BOD.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

NOSOLOGLOWYO

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
That'd be awesome to have a lighted course but it'd be an awful lot of work to install those and probably would end up costing more to do so than the light fixtures themselves. $.02...
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

fenton

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
If they could be powered by solar it would be an easier task than running wire to them. In 5-10 years it might be more economically viable.

If I had my own personal 9, I'd jump at them...

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
Mike i think you would be right, to run wire, plant concrete in the ground, and purchase some sort of transportation to move them over along with a mini ex or small backhoe to hold them up and you are talking a bit of money. Im pretty sure my course would let them go for free, but thats why i said to an organization. Such as JO CO P & R that has this equipment and vehicles, and that had the money and man power to install them at SMPark. I do like the idea of solar to run them, even if its for 3-4 hours once dark it would still greatly extend the playing time, but thats also why we took these down and put up solar lights in the current parking lot. So turning them into solar powered would be another bill to pay. Once i make it to the Director position in a local P & R watch out... It will be 72 holes of unadaulterated, well lit joy of disc golf night or day.

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
This guy is always keeping his eyes and ears open on how to better the sport.  No joke, you want this guy on the
BOD.

Its not weather we want him on the board or not, its up to mr. Bitter. He can choose to stand up and ask his fellow club members for a vote at the annual elections! Which just so happen to be tomorrow starting at 6pm :-)
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
who pays for the install.....who pays for the electricity?  If it goes in a public park, the city has to approve such a measure, hence a private course is a much stronger option for support.

The club can't go in and plant electrical lights without a plan in place to pay for it to the city for the cost.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
I know that Jack, but people like yourself have "In's" into those places to talk to the right people. Me sitting and cold calling cities or P & R departments probably won't do much good. Again it was just a thought, and I had a big part of the picture in my head sitting outside in my parking lot. Just figured I would drop the option on here. If anything, it gets people thinking about the ways to improve a course, or add on to a future project, if there is a demand for such a thing. Again I like glow from time to time, just thought it would be cool if there was a better way to extend playing times for people. This isn't unheard of, there are a few fully lit ball golf courses in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Good news for workers who can mow and get a good bulk of the trimming done when its not blasted hot, while providing a place for people who work 9 to 5 (or 6 or 7) or have kids to play during "Non" peak times.

I do not disagree with a private course, I just invision everyone being able to take advantage of it not just a few.

Greg/Utz maybe in the future when the kids are older, but as of now a 3 year old and a 10 month old need their second parent at home as much as possible.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
I gotchya Utz.  I was just saying that this guy is always coming up with great ideas.  I was also kind of joking since I know he has a family and works a ton of hours.  As do we all.  Totally up to him and just giving him a compliment so you know that this guy is serious about his posts.  Unlike me.  I'm just a washed up metalhead just trying to make it to the pros in disc golf.

NOSOLOGLOWYO

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Lights? Hahaha.....next up a concession stand, bleachers and water features....I say HECK NO!

Part of disc golf is getting into nature and enjoying it....Yellow baskets interrupt that enough the way it is.

Not to mention the more things for people to steal, vandalize or get hurt on.....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »
Lights? Hahaha.....next up a concession stand, bleachers and water features....I say HECK NO!

Part of disc golf is getting into nature and enjoying it....Yellow baskets interrupt that enough the way it is.

Not to mention the more things for people to steal, vandalize or get hurt on.....

With all due respect.

When someone has an idea and they offer it up and the response is this, you will likely miss out on other great ideas that person may have that you may agree with down the road. 

NOSOLOGLOWYO

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
Actually Bird thats a great idea. Think of a concession stand at Smithville so when you want to play 54 you dont have to drive all the way back in town for a snickers, or a nice waterfall at cliff...that would be pretty sweet, and yes bleachers at Prarie Center so the families that come out to watch their brothers/fathers/cousins play soccer could have a place to sit instead of in the fairway at #11. All great ideas sir, keep them coming!