Author Topic: 2007 Tags  (Read 4532 times)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:52:01 AM »
What do you as club members want to see out of bag tags?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Twister66

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
What Kind of Tags do you want?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »
What about minis with with a key ring in them?  I think that is what St Louis uses for tag play.
Jim Sherwood

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 06:44:03 PM »
The mini's that I saw from Columbia looked worn out by June at the Wide Open.  I'm totally for the Leather Bag Tags, with my second option being Stainless Steel, but we already know what everyone thinks about them too noisy, clanky etc.
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:29:47 PM »
i like what we have now but leather tags would be nice but what is the price? and what about the rain?
I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:48:37 PM »
I think the plastic was fine, but it needs to be a higher gauge (thicker) plastic, so the tags don't crack through the hole for the key ring, or anywhere else.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 01:41:08 PM »
It is time to start looking into next years tags.....let's get some ideas rolling.

We are looking into leather and mini markers right now.

Also let's see some design ideas.....

.....maybe we should give #1 to whoever wins a design contest to start the 2007 season....just an idea.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Bag Tags
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
How about using wood circles with the text burnt in to them? I think a harder wood would be pretty durable and last throughout the season. I also like the leather idea too with it embroider with blue thread for 1-10 and red for 11-???. Lighter colors might have to work with a darker leather. You could hot stamp the leather too but i think it would be harder to see. Also how about getting a trophy to give to #1 at next years club championships?

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 08:38:22 AM »
Money...Money...and more money...

The problem with wood burnt & stitched leather is the time consumption, especially when they have to be individually numbered........which costs more money, just like buying tropheys and prizes for them.  If we can find a cheap outlet.....let's get some prices.

The tags this year were sold for about 50 cents more than they cost, so the club only made $50 on all 100 tags....but that was also because we sold them for $5.  Tags in the past have failed because of high costs and then nobdy wants to buy them, so then the club has 40 extra tags laying around that was lost income.  Several people were upset this year because they did not have the oppurtunity for a tag, but due to historical sales, we could not justify buying more.  We will be ordering atleast 150 this year, but once again this all revolves around cost of the tag and the sale price as to how many we order.

Would you rather see better tags for $10 and then get prizes for maybe 5 tag holders at the end of the year, or would you like to see the tags stay around the $5 range and leave them as bragging rights as they were this year and everyone will want to join in the fun with a lower cost.

In my opinion, the people looking for prizes and money out of every part of this sport are most likely the people who won't buy a tag anyway.

My 2 cents, but these are good questions, and if you know of any hook ups for cheap tags...please let any of the EC members know so we can pursue it.....Any help is good help!!!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

dclabe

2007 Tags
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 09:22:34 AM »
I vote to keep the tags cheap.  They need to be just a little more durable than this years.  Here's a couple of ideas:

There's no benefit for consistent play in our current format.  #1 can lose to #100, and because of one bad round they drop all the way to #100.  Maybe to challenge someone you have to be within 10.  That way it would make it more meaningful.

A year ending event to determine final rankings (could be top 20-30 to everyone).  Maybe a match play format.

andrew.jewett

2007 Tags
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:52:44 PM »
I would hope that the holder of #1 would not lose to the holder of #100...

Here is a possibility - order at least 150 tags, make them more expensive and no one buys them such as has happened in the past. That would leave the club in the red again.

I believe that relatively cheaper tags will draw more people just like this year, so that seems to be a good idea. So what will be durable but not that much more expensive to produce? How about dog tags? Is that kind of material cheap? Can 150 dog tags be produced at some kind of discount?

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 02:58:34 PM »
Dog Tags are metal and small....I have hade an overwhelming response that metal tags are too noisy....or they clank around too much...

Cattle Ear Tags was an idea, but Texas does that....and I'm not sure we want the reputation of being a cow town.....

As far as price range goes...we are looking at what we had this year or going to stamped leather....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »
So we would have to sell those for atleast $9.00 a piece....and order a minimum of 150.....that is getting pretty pricey again...

I love the look of them but how many people want to pay double from last year?????
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »
I dont know how many would. But for all the people that wouldn't:
$10=12pack of beer
        3packs of cigs
        2 cans of chew
        A beer at the Chiefs games
        A few left handed cigs
        5gallons of gas
        or
        A whole year of fun comp. playing disc golf with your fellow KCFDC  
        members.

Over a year i think its worth $10

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
2007 Tags
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »
I still like the Stainless Steel tags.  I know of the company that does the tags for the Mile High Disc Golf Club, and several others.  He can etch designs into the steel, and customize each one with our number sequence.  The real kicker is for under $5!  Now I can't say for sure that the stainless steel tags are extremely noisy, but I'm all for trying it one year and finding out.

The regular golf bag tags that you may have seen were very difficult for me to find someone who would print each one different.  This may be the same problem we could run into with the leather ones that Nicky P posted.  The price is most likely $8.79 each for 150 of all the same tags, we need 150 individually different ones.

As for the rules maybe some type of trophy could go to the winner of the #1 tag at the end of the year, but lets just keep this as a friendly bragging rights competition.  I can't express enough how much fun I had this year participating in tag challenges weekly, I don't want to see it change next year.

Lets keep up the good work on this discussion!

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member